Affidavits, Declarations and Statements

May 5, 1986

Statement of P. E. Beasley to Ted Gunderson re: Helena Stoeckley and suspects

I, Prince Everette Beasley, make the following free and voluntary statement to Ted L.Gunderson, a private investigator from Los Angeles.  No threats or promises were made to get me to make this statement.

I was born 6/15/25 at Maxton, N.C.  I presently reside at 104 Myra Rd., Raeford, N.C., 28376.  Phone. 919-875-3693.  I am a retired police officer who served on the Fayetteville, N.C. Police Department from 1953 to 1973.

Helena Stoeckley was my drug informant from approximately 1968 until 1972.  She was turned over to me by Lt. R. A. Studer. [Lieutenant Rudy A. Studer] Fayetteville, N.C. Police Dept.  He turned her over to me because Helena's parents were mad at him for working Helena in the drug community, and because he was made a Lieutenant and couldn't devote the necessary time to working with her.  Studer told me the reason he turned Helena over to me was because of his promotion.  Helena told me he turned her over to me because of the problem with her parents.

Shortly after I was assigned to the Narcotic Squad, Helena told me that drugs, primarily heroin, were being smuggled into this country in the body cavities of the dead soldiers being returned by air from Viet Nam to the United States.  She named Ike Atkinson as the ring leader.  Atkinson was located in Goldsboro, N.C., supposedly working out of Johnson Air Force Base.  Helena told me they were smuggling drugs in the same manner into Johnson Air Force Base.  Johnson Air Force Base is located at Goldsboro, N.C.

She advised Atkinson was in the service, but subsequently got out and continued his business in drugs with the same contacts.  I didn't pay much attention to Atkinson because he wasn't in our jurisdiction.

The above information is all that Helena told me up to the time of the MacDonald murders in 1970.

Helena told me after the MacDonald murders that there were contacts in Viet Nam who put the drugs in the G.I.'s bodies, in plastic bags after the autopsies were complete, The bodies were sewn up and shipped to Pope Air Base, Ft. Bragg, Johnson Air Base, and other bases which she did not name.

When the bodies arrived in the U.S., they were met by a contact in the United States at one of the military bases, and after the drugs were removed by this contact, the bodies were sent to their final destination.

The person who met the bodies at the respective Air Bases knew which bodies to check, based on a pre-determined code.  Although I believe Helena knew their identities, she never gave me this information.  Helena told me that the people who handled the assignments in Viet Nam, and those who met the planes in the United States, were military personnel.  She stated most of the drugs came from Thailand.

Helena stated the drugs and the pickups were made at the base at Fort Bragg.  The reason she gave me more details after the MacDonald murders was because she wanted me to know that she knew what she was talking about, and she stated she would give me details, including names, dates, and places, once she was given immunity by the U.S. Government.  When Ted L. Gunderson and I initially interviewed her, we told her we would attempt to get immunity for her on these matters.

Helena advised that Spider Newman, his son, Red Newman, Wineford (Winnie) Cole, Tommy Hart, and June Bug Walters (I don't know Walters' real first name) were several steps in the organization under Atkinson.  All of these individuals were civilians who operated in the Fayetteville, N.C. area, selling drugs.  None of these individuals had a business cover, but sold drugs out of their house.  Those of us in law enforcement knew through our intelligence community that Atkinson ran the Viet Nam smuggling operation on the Eastern Seaboard.  I believe Atkinson was arrested by the Federal Narcotic authorities in the middle 1970's, and he is presently serving time.  He was recently turned down on parole.

Spider Newman was being tried for drugs in the mid-1970's.  There was a courtroom break, and he was later found in his car behind his home, shot in the head.  I later heard that Spider was getting ready to turn states evidence when this happened.  The police ruled this a suicide.  His trial was in Federal Court.

Red Newman has been tried on drugs, and is serving time in the Federal system.  Cole went to State Prison on drug charges in Fayetteville.

Wineford Cole, Tommy Hart and June Bug Walters were all tried and convicted of drug trafficking.  I believe they were all tried in local and Federal Court at different times.  I don't know if Cole and Walters are in jail now, but I know Hart is in the North Carolina State Penal System.

In regard to the Viet Nam operation, Helena told me that military, civilian, and police officers were involved in the Viet Nam drug network.  She stated there were two prominent local attorneys and Army officers as high as Generals, who were part of the operation.  She stated she would name and identity the people if given immunity by the U.S. Government.  I believe this is part of the "bomb shell" she said she was going to drop.  Helena never named the police officers she said were involved in the Viet Nam operation, but she did state that Studer and Sonberg were involved in drugs.  Possibly these are the individuals she was referring to in regard to the Viet Nam drug network, who were police officers.  Helena also told me after the MacDonald murders, that Alan Mazorelle [sic], who was in her coven Satanic Cult, was a drug runner up and down the East Coast.  Mazorelle took drugs as far away as Florida and New York City.  Mazorelle was in the Army at the time.  She never said where Mazorelle obtained his drugs.

Helena also told me that Don Harris, also a member of her coven Satanic Cult, was a heavy user of drugs.  This is all she said about him.

Helena told me that Dwight Smith was a drug dealer locally.  She never said where Smith obtained his drugs.  She said Smith was an "alright guy".

Helena told me that Kathy [sic] Perry was a user of drugs.  Perry took as many drugs as she could get her hands on.  Perry dealt drugs only to maintain her habit.

Helena told me that Greg Mitchell was a dealer and a heavy user of drugs.  She never gave details regarding how he dealt, but she stated anytime someone couldn't find drugs, they could always go to Mitchell and he would have them.  At times, he would supply the whole group.

Helena told me that Bruce Fowler was a drug dealer and a user, and that she was his girlfriend.  She never gave more details than this.

Dwight Smith, Don Harris, Alan Mazorelle, Bruce Fowler and Greg Mitchell were all in the same coven Satanic cult with Helena, and were all in the military.  She stated that all of the above were dangerous, but she was the most afraid of Mazorelle.  She stated Mazorelle would kill you in a minute.

I had extensive intelligence files on all of the above close associates of Helena's, but this information has disappeared from the Fayetteville Police files.  I learned these files disappeared in August, 1979.  During the MacDonald trial I was given a subpoena to bring these records to the trial.  It was then that I learned they were gone.

In 1981 or 1982, I talked to Mrs. Greg Mitchell, after Greg had died.  She told me Greg had previously told her about drugs being smuggled into the U.S. in the body cavities of the dead G.I.'s from Viet Nam.  She stated that Greg didn't give her the names of persons involved, but told her about the contacts in Viet Nam who placed the drugs in plastic bags, into the bodies, and others in the U.S. at our Air Bases who met the planes, and took the drugs from the bodies.  She stated military personnel were involved in this operation in Viet Ham and in the U.S.

Lieutenant Studer told me in 1968-1969 that drugs were being brought into the U.S. from Viet Nam in the body cavities of the dead soldiers.  He said they were being flown into the United States to the military Air Bases, and dispersed from there by contacts within the military.

Studer subsequently was promoted to Captain, Chief of Detectives, but was forced to resign because he misappropriated pornographic material obtained during an investigation.  Helena told me that Studer monitored the drugs that Helena obtained, and if he didn't like them, he had her exchange those drugs for drugs that Studer could use.  Helena told me that if the police obtained drugs on an arrest, they would often be on the street the next day.  Studer would take the drugs and give them to Helena to sell back on the street.  The only way I know that Studer could get these drugs was from the evidence room.  Studer and Detective Larry Sonberg both had keys to the evidence room.

Helena told me that William F. Ivory, C.I.D.. and Studer were close friends.  She stated that Ivory was dealing drugs with Studer.  She stated she would give more details concerning Ivory if she was given immunity.  Ivory was involved in the crime scene search on the MacDonald case.  She also stated she would give more information on Studer if she vas given immunity.

Joseph Bullock was an informant and undercover operator for me and Studer from 1969 to 1971.  Bullock advised me that he saw Studer and Ivory exchange envelopes on occasion at the Dunkin' Donuts, Bragg Blvd, Fayetteville, N.C., during this period of time.  Studer dropped Bullock shortly after this because, according to Bullock, Studer knew too much of what was going on.  Bullock was subsequently shot in the head during an ambush when he came home from work.  It was general knowledge in the community that Bullock was an informant for me.  Bullock described Studer as a "son of a bitch."

Sonberg left town unexpectedly, shortly after the MacDonald murders.  The rumor was that Sonberg had double-crossed some drug dealers, and had to leave town.  Helena told me that Sonberg was dealing drugs even though he was a police officer.  I have no knowledge that Sonberg was involved with the drug operation out of Viet Nam.

Helena once mentioned the name Proctor to me.  I don't recall what was said about him, but I knew she knew him.  I assume she was referring to James [sic] Proctor, Judge DePree's [sic] former son-in-law.  I don't recall if she referred to Proctor by his first name.  She mentioned this sometime after the MacDonald murders.  She said she would talk more about Proctor if given immunity.

Helena told me that 3 or 4 nights after the MacDonald murders she vas picked up by Ivory and I believe C.I.D. agent, Shaw (I don't know his first name).  She stated they talked to her about the MacDonald murders.  Helena advised she gave them a story that they didn't believe, and they turned her loose.

Helena told me that Studer contacted her shortly after the MacDonald murders and Studer told her to get out of town because Beasley was after her.  She ultimately left, and went to Nashville, Tennessee.

During the time I worked with Helena (1968 to 1972) I estimate that she was responsible, as an informant, for the arrest of hundreds of individuals.  I estimate at least 200 persons or more were arrested as a result of information furnished by her.

She set up Mazorelle and Thomas Rizzo for the arrest on drugs just before the MacDonald murders.  When I looked for the intelligence files on the Stretchly [sic] group in 1979, I recall also looking for the arrest file on Mazorelle and Rizzo for their arrest.  I recall they were arrested in January 1970.  I remember that these arrest files were intact at that time.  I have since been told that the arrest files on Mazorelle and Rizzo are now missing.

It is interesting to note that Mazorelle claims he was in jail the night of the MacDonald murders.  He claims he can prove this from Superior Court records in Cumberland County.  I have been told there is a slip of paper in the court records that shows Mazorelle was in jail the night of 2/16-17/70.  These records are available to the public.

I know Mazorelle was not in jail 2/16-17/70 because I arrested him in January 1970 and recall that the trial was set for Mazorelle the day of 2/17/70.  If Mazorelle had been in Jail that date (2/16-17/70) he would have been available for trial on 2/17/70, and I would have appeared in court as a witness.  John De Carter of the Sheriff's office was with me in the arrest of Rizzo and Mazorelle and he would have also had to appear in court 2/17/70.  I specifically recall that I did not appear in court on any case at the Cumberland County Court House on 2/17/70.  I was on the street all day looking for suspects on the MacDonald murders.

I don't recall that Mazorelle was out on bail, but I believe he was, or he would have appeared in court 2/17/70.  Since he didn't appear I believe he jumped bail, which means a bench warrant would have been issued for him.  I recall he was subsequently arrested in Waycross Georgia for burglary, but I have been informed through my sources in law enforcement that the Waycross arrest records are also missing.

I recall that a bondsman, C. B. Avertt [sic], went to Waycross to extradite Mazorelle for jumping bond on my drug arrest.  I talked to Avertt in 1979, and he told me that he didn't recall making the bond and had no record.  I talked to him a month later and he recalled that he made bond for Mazorelle for $2500.00 after the MacDonald murders, which, according to him, would confirm that Mazorelle was in jail the night of 2/16-17/70.  Avertt is either involved in the cover up or is mistaken.  Mazorelle's bond could not have been made after the MacDonald murders because the trial was set for 2/17/70, as explained above.

I don't have knowledge concerning the possible altering of Court records concerning the Mazorelle-Rizzo drug arrest, but I recall a number of occasions when Cumberland Court House records were altered after working hours at night.  I don't believe Mazorelle was in jail the night of the murders.

In addition to the above, Helena told me that Mazorelle was out that night and involved in the MacDonald murders.

In regard to cases that Helena made for me, I recall that she was responsible for the largest drug recovery in the history of our police department up to the time I retired.  Several months before the MacDonald murders, she tipped us on drugs that were being transported from Canada to Fayetteville.  Seven suspects were arrested, and over $20,000.00 worth of drugs were recovered.

Helena was also responsible for the arrest of four suspects from Texas, who were also transporting and selling drugs in Fayetteville.  We recovered about $40,000.00 worth of drugs on this case.

Helena told me about every instance where drugs came into Fayetteville from other areas.  At the time I didn't think about it, but I now believe she told us about drugs coming from outside Fayetteville to eliminate competition, probably protecting the local drug scene, i.e. the Viet Nam operation.  This is my opinion.

Judge Dupree and the U.S. Government have attempted to discredit me, insinuating I am having, and have had mental problems.  I would like to point out that I have been on the Police Officers Advisory Commission for North Carolina since before I returned [sic; "retired" was probably intended] from the Fayetteville Police Department in 1973.

I have read this 8 page statement, and it is true and correct, to the best of my knowledge.

Prince E. Beasley

Witness: Ted L. Gunderson
Fayetteville, N.C.