Affidavits, Declarations and Statements

July 12, 1984

United States District Court
Eastern District of North Carolina

Affidavit #5 of Raymond Madden, Jr. (FBI) re: Jimmy Friar


UNITED STATES OF AMERICA : Criminal No. 75-26-CR-3
v. : Criminal No. 84-41-CIV-3

Raymond Madden, Jr., being duly sworn does depose and say that:

1. I am a Special Agent of the Federal Bureau of investigation (hereafter FBI) assigned to the Raleigh Resident Agency, Charlotte Division, and as such I am currently assigned as the FBI case agent in the above-captioned matter.

2. I had no previous direct involvement in this case until August, 1980, following Jeffrey MacDonald's August 1979 convictions in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina.

3. On March 22, 1983, Jimmy Friar, inmate, South Carolina Department of Corrections, Inmate No. 114504, was contacted and advised that he was to be interviewed regarding any knowledge concerning the MacDonald murders at Fort Bragg, North Carolina in February 1970. Friar was interviewed at the Psychiatric Unit in the presence of Psychologist Steven Shea. Friar furnished the following information:

4. He was arrested on January 9, 1983 at Gaffney, South Carolina, for Breaking and Entering and noted at that time he was living in Gastonia, North Carolina, was not employed and was on parole with the State of North Carolina.

5. He entered the U.S. Army in 1966 and had Army RA serial number 11936621. He reenlisted in the Army in 1967 and was assigned RA #11822640. His Social Security Number is 251-84-5649.

6. In February, 1970, he was in the U.S. Army assigned to Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and traveling back and forth to Walter Reed Hospital, Washington, D.C. At Walter Reed, he was being treated for shrapnel wounds. At Womack Hospital, he was awaiting a transfer to a permanent assignment. Friar advised that he suffers from grand mal epilepsy and is prone to seizures. The Womack Army Hospital, Ft. Bragg, North Carolina, in February, 1970, was treating him medically for his wound problems and epilepsy, but was not treating him for any mental illness.

7. Concerning the dates February 16-17, 1970, he stated he specifically remembered he was in the town of Fayetteville, North Carolina and was away from Womack Army Hospital. During the a.m. hours of February 17, 1970, Friar stated he missed the last bus returning to Ft. Bragg and went to a public phone booth where he called the information operator and inquired as to the number of Womack Army Hospital at Ft. Bragg, North Carolina. He stated he recalled being drunk at this occasion and once he got the information operator, he was put through to the "post" operator at which time he asked to speak to Womack Hospital. When he got someone at Womack Army Hospital, he asked to speak to Dr. MacDonald (phonetic) and was allegedly told that Dr. MacDonald was not on duty. Friar advised the reason he asked for Dr. MacDonald was that he was he was being treated by a Dr. Richard M. MacDonald (phonetic) at Walter Reed Hospital. Friar explained that Dr. MacDonald was a Medical Doctor at Walter Reed Hospital. He was informed by the person on the telephone that Dr. MacDonald was not on duty. Friar stated he hung up and 10 to 15 minutes later, he tele- phonically contacted the officer on duty (OD) at Womack Army Hospital and told the OD that he (Friar) was a doctor and that it was an emergency, that he needed to talk to Dr. MacDonald. The OD patched him through immediately to Dr. MacDonald's home. He has no idea specifically about the time of this alleged called, but stated it was early a.m. on February 17, 1970.

8. After being patched through to Dr. MacDonald's residence, a woman answered the telephone and Friar asked to speak to Dr. MacDonald. The woman laughed at Friar and Friar heard background noise, including laughter and a male voice stated something like, "Hang up the goddamn phone." Friar heard a noise and assumes the phone had been thrown down on the floor. According to Friar, it sounded like a wild party in progress and as he could not speak with anyone, he hung up. He then hitchhiked back to Womack Army Hospital and later recalls reading the newspapers about Dr. MacDonald's family being killed. Several days later, he was transferred back to Walter Reed Hospital.

9. Friar advised he has never met Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald and has never been treated by Dr. MacDonald at any time. Friar stated that he was interviewed by the FBI at Marion, North Carolina, believed to be the time of MacDonald's trial (1979) concerning the above information. At about this time, he was interviewed also by John Meyers, who is a private Detective from Raleigh, North Carolina. To the best of his recollection, he informed Myers basically of the above information. Friar also recalled being interviewed by Wade Smith, who was one of MacDonald's attorneys in Raleigh, N.C.

10. In June, 1982, he was released from prison in North Carolina and was on parole in Gastonia, North Carolina. In August, 1982, he was contacted by Eve Grayson, who is with the local parole office in Gastonia, who informed him that newspaper columnist Jack Anderson was trying to get in touch with him. Eventually, Friar was contacted by a Donald Goldberg, who identified himself to Friar as an associate and employee of Jack Anderson. After talking with Goldberg on the telephone about the MacDonald case, Goldberg sent Friar a round-trip plane ticket in order that Friar could travel to Washington, D.C. Friar went to Washington, D.C., and was picked up at the airport on approximately August 17, 1982 by Donald Goldberg. They immediately went to Walter Reed Hospital in an attempt to verify that a Dr. Richard MacDonald was at Walter Reed in 1970 and had treated Friar at that time. To the best of his recollection, they could not verify this information.

11. After the preceding event, Friar and Goldberg then went by Jack Anderson's office and eventually to a producer's home where Jack Anderson and Goldberg introduced him and eventually interviewed him on a TV video recorder. Present during the taping were Goldberg, a camera man and assistant, two "narcotics agents", a Sergeant with Police Department, and four or five other individuals. Ted Gunderson and Helena Stoeckley were not present, but he learned during conversations with the above individuals that Stoeckley had been previously interviewed and taped on video by Goldberg and Gunderson in South Carolina. The tapes, according to Goldberg, were not good and after the taping session Goldberg called a former Detective in Fayetteville, North Carolina because the Helena Stoeckley tapes were also "bad" and he (Goldberg) needed to find Stoeckley again. This detective, possibly by the name of Beasley, wanted expense money from Goldberg which Goldberg apparently agreed to. According to Friar, Stoeckely was to fly in the next day to Washington, D.C., for additional taping sessions, however, he did not meet her as he returned to North Carolina on the same day.

12. He has been arrested 15 or 16 times, six or seven of which have been for felony charges. On one of his first arrests in Charleston, South Carolina, believed to be 1967 or so, he was charged with mail fraud and pled insanity, but was convicted. Friar executed a release of medical and psychiatric records for the FBI.

13. Since August, 1982, he has talked to Goldberg several times on the telephone. A newspaper reporter, identity unknown, also talked to him about the above events and believes the reporter was from Spartanburg, South Carolina.

14. Concerning his mental health, Friar advised that with the exception of epilepsy and nerve problems, he has had no mental illness and has never been treated for same at either Womack Army Hospital or Walter Reed Hospital. As far as medication is concerned, he has taken valium on a fairly regular basis as well as dilaudid, which he alleges is to control epileptic seizures.

15. At the present time while confined as an inmate with the South Carolina Department of Corrections, he is refusing medical and psychiatric treatment. He is presently taking Dilaudid and he is petitioning to receive outside medical rather than prison treatment.

16. Friar also advised that while incarcerated in the Marion Prison Unit sometime in January, 1980, he allegedly received two phone calls from an anonymous male individual who allegedly threatened his life and inferred to him it was for his best interest to forget about the MacDonald case. He also advised while on work release from the Marion Prison Unit, he was employed by Master Craft, Inc., Spindale, North Carolina. While on the third shift one night in January, 1980, he was pushed around the parking lot by four or five masked men. There were no witnesses to this incident, however, he allegedly reported this assault to the prison unit. He attributes this assault to his knowledge about the MacDonald case. While on work release at the above time, he remembers that someone from California was trying to contact him and that this individual was allegedly a private investigator.

17. In December, 1982, he got a phone call at his residence in Gastonia, North Carolina from an unknown female, who identified herself as Helena Stoeckley and immediately hung up.

18. On April 18, 1983, the attached letter was received by your affiant from Jimmy Friar, 114504, Route 1, Box 323, Enoree, S.C., 29335.

Further your affiant sayeth not:

/Raymond Madden, Jr./
Special Agent
Subscribed and sworn to
before me this    12th   
day of July, 1984.


My Commission Expires May 31, 1985