Affidavits, Declarations and Statements
June 22, 1984
State of North Carolina
County of Chatham
Declaration of Rosalie Edwards
DECLARATION OF ROSALIE EDWARDSState of North Carolina
County of Chatham
I, Rosalie Edwards, declare as follows:
(1) I reside in Siler City, North Carolina, where my husband and I operate a religious retreat called Beulah. My husband is a former Army Chaplain, and in February 1970 he was stationed at Fort Bragg, Fayetteville, North Carolina, where we lived in an apartment on Castle Drive.
(2) The apartment two doors down away from us was inhabited by Colette and Jeffrey Mac- Donald and their two young girls.
(3) In the early morning of February 17, 1970, sometime between 2:00 and 4:00 am, my husband and I were awaken by sirens and the flashing of red lights. I looked out the window and observed a lot of commotion around the MacDonald home.
(4) I said to my husband, "Honey, it looks like trouble over at the MacDonald's'. Go see if you can help." He put his robe on and went down the stairs. He returned almost immediately, saying, "I better grab my ID." Then he went outside.
(5) While my husband was out I watched from the my front window. I recall counting at least 15 MP vehicles and three ambulances. There were lot of people milling about, people from the surrounding neighborhood as well as military policemen (MP's). Within a few minutes both MP's and people from the crowd were walking into and out of the MacDonald house.
(6) While I was viewing the commotion I overheard a shouted exchange between two MP's. While I cannot remember their statements exactly, I do recall that the first MP shouted something to the effect that, "We passed a woman down at the BP station. What's she doing out this hour of the morning? We were going to check her out, but this emergency call came 'All units to Castle Drive.'" The second MP then shouted something about there having been a woman with a "floppy hat and leather jacket in there with the man that killed his family," and then the other MP said, "We saw that woman down there, or one like her with a floppy hat."
(7) After my husband told me what had happened, I asked him if he had seen Colette MacDonald. He said yes, he had seen her "in the bedroom and she was covered up." However, he never did actually saw her.
I declare under the penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct.
Executed this 22 day of June 1984 at Siler City, North Carolina
On June 22, 1984, before me, a Notary Public in and for said County and State, personally appeared Rosalie Edwards, personally known to me or proved to me to be the person whose name is subscribed to the within instrument and acknowledged that he executed the same.
Witness my hand and official seal.
My Commission Expires Dec 14, 1987