Affidavits, Declarations and Statements
September 21, 1983
State of Virginia
County of Virginia Beach
Declaration of Joan Green Sonderson re: Possible Suspects
Scans of original transcript
DECLARATION OF JOAN GREEN SONDERSON
|State of Virginia||)|
|County of Virginia Beach||)|
I, JOAN GREEN SONDERSON, the undersigned, declare:
1. On February 17, 1970, I was employed at the Shute Drive Inn restaurant which was located on Fort Bragg Military Base, North Carolina.
2. When I arrived at work between 9:00 and 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday, February 17, 1970, I noticed a two-tone automobile parked nose-in under the overhang in my service area. I inspected the car and thought it was passengerless.
3. I complained to my boss about the parked and empty vehicle standing in my area.
4. About an hour later another car parked beside the apparently empty vehicle.
5. When I went to service this second vehicle I observed the front passenger door open. A pair of white or beige muddy boots extended from the vehicle as though the owner of the legs had been sleeping on the seat.
6. As the person whose legs I saw exited from the vehicle, I saw it was a Caucasian female with blonde hair and wearing a floppy hat.
7. I asked the girl if she wanted coffee. She said "No." She then proceeded to ask if I knew that the MacDonalds were murdered the previous night and that the husband was now in the hospital while the wife and children were dead. I told her "No," I didn't know about it.
8. About that time the right rear passenger door opened and a black male emerged. He was wearing an army fatigue jacket and dark civilian pants. He told me he was going to use the men's room.
9. There was a white male slumped down behind the wheel but I did not get a good look at him.
10. Both the female and the black male went to the toilets. When they returned to the car, they all drove off together.
11. Throughout this time I could see Military Police vehicles riding on the roads inside and outside Fort Bragg.
12. I was shown twenty photographs by Raymond Shedlick, a private investigator, and selected from those photographs a photograph of an artist's sketch which positively resembles the young woman I saw (attached hereto as Exhibit "A"). I also positively identified a photograph of an artist's sketch of a black male as being that of the black male I saw leaving the rear of the vehicle (attached hereto as Exhibit "B").
I declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct.
Executed this 21 day of September, 1983 at Virginia Beach , Virginia.
JOAN GREEN SONDERSON
On Sept. 21 , 1983, before me the undersigned, a Notary Public in and for said County and State, personally appeared JOAN GREEN SONDERSON, personally known to me or proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence to be the person whose name is subscribed to the within instrument and acknowledged that she executed the same.
Witness my hand and official seal.
Notary Public in and for
said County and State
MY COMMISSION EXPIRES JANUARY 19, 1985